What Is "The Pear Novel"?

It has always been my dream to write a novel. I’ve tried to pin myself down into a genre. One week I’ll enthuse about writing a romance novel. The next week, I’ll have decided on crime or science fiction. When I pick a genre, I often don’t have a story idea in my head. I set out to find the story, and I often fail.

That is why I’ve decided to start with an idea first and worry about genre later. For a while now, I’ve been working on something I call “The Pear Novel”. This might well be a literary fiction novel, but I don’t know yet. There are fantasy elements. Do I emphasise those? Who knows!

The point of The Pear Novel is that I have an idea in my hands like clay. I can form it and shape it and worry about neat definitions later. I am currently in the early drafting stage of this novel, but I cannot wait to share it with you.

That's the point of this blog. To keep a record of the writing of this literary fiction novel. To share my ideas and struggles with you while I have them. I have no idea if you'd be interested in that. Let's see how it goes. If this blog only serves to help me work out my own thoughts, that's still useful to me.

That said, I do care about making this blog interesting. It will feature book reviews of the writing craft books I use. I might even tell you about my other adventures writing microfiction, flash and short stories. I also hope to get involved with the book community through this blog. So, whether you're a reader or a writer, I would love to get to know you. Leave a comment or get in touch.

Comments